Sunday 29 June 2014

Helsinki Pride

This saturday was the Pride-Parade in Helsinki. It was the first time I joined Pride as a active member of the LDS church and I was the only member from our church as far as I know. (20.000 people marched so could be I missed if somebodey else from our church was there). I did not have a sign in the parade but I did meet people with whom I was able to share my thoughts. There are people, both LGBTQ-identifying and straight, who are working to make spaces for LGBTQ people of Mormon heritage where they can reclaim their faith and religious culture in ways that are affirming of their sexual orientation and gender identity In Helsinki I felt alone though. - You are mormon? Are you kidding me?


Well every discussion has to start somewhere.


photos: Johan Finne

photo: my friend Monika E Pensar

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first Pride experience. I still have yet to attend one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I hope you find some like-minded Mormons through this blog post. There are probably some in your ward or branch. We have 5500 members in Mormons Building Bridges. I looked to see if any live in Finland but had no luck. If you would like to join us, you would be the first.

    ReplyDelete