Saturday 31 May 2014

ABOUT PRAYERS



But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do:for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. (St Matthew 6:7)

You have heard them: The repetitions in prayers and some time I can think they are funny. For example; Donuts and biscuits are served and someone is asked to say a prayer then it goes; ”Bless the refreshments to nourish and strengthen our bodies. ”

I do not know how much donuts ”strengthen” my body. I think you can thank our Lord for a great snack and good company.



"Thank thee for all our many blessings." Yeah we do have blessings but this is a passive way to say it. A grateful heart comes through expressing gratitude to our Heavenly Father for His blessings and to those around us for all that they bring into our lives. I am grateful today for certain things. Counting my blessings is for me not for my Heavenly Father. If I even have to count them.

Another prayer I have heard; "Bless that we will travel home in safety." I do not have a car and to drive in a safe way is for me obiously. But what do you do with a car? Do you take extra caution when driving? If it's late, do you offer rides to those who might have to walk? Do you pray for the busdriver?


Any prayer from a sincere heart is great and phrases are repeated with good intentions. But friends remember our communication with our Father is so simple. And He has a kind of humour. Just be honest in your prayers. In my next blogpost I will talk more about this.

2 comments:

  1. Before we say a cliché it’s important for us to think of and plan to put into action ideas to help our brothers and sisters.

    ReplyDelete